Thanks to everyone who was able to make our last Zoom meeting on 11/11. It was great to hear directly from two returning community members (Joseph and Carlos) about some of their experiences, challenges, and hopes for the future.
Going forward, we’re planning on a recurring series of meetings, each focused on a different aspect of this work.
The first will be a series of interviews with a Q&A session afterwards, featuring returning community members, probation officers, chaplains and other people involved in this work. Everyone is invited to attend this series, and it will be recorded and shared afterwards for people not able to make it.
We will also continue our series of ongoing meetings with Angel Team working groups. These sessions will be focused on logistics, training, checklists, fundraising, and other activities related to actively supporting RCMs as well as soon to be released individuals.
Our next Interview Series meeting will be on December 1, 2020 at 6:00 pm Pacific. We will be diving deeper into the experiences of a RCM who was recently released (Joseph) and will be sharing some stories of how he found Christian Science in prison, the pre-release process, and some of his experiences after being released. All are welcome to attend, and feel free to forward this Zoom invite to anyone you think would like to come.
Recap of our last Angel Team Working Group call on 11/11/20:
– Introductions, welcome RCM participants Carlos and Joseph
– Discussed overall goals and upcoming projects for Embraced:Fully
– Joseph and Carlos shared some of their experiences. Joseph recently got out of prison and is living in transitional housing, Carlos was released in the early 2000’s and is done with his supervision this upcoming January.
– Discussed the high significance of transportation and housing
– Discussed Albert Baker Fund Career Alliance (https://abfcareeralliance.org), Healing101Talks.org (https://healing101talks.org/) as potential resources for RCMs interested in career connections and watching Christian Science lectures / videos
– Joseph mentioned a number of other (non CS) groups offering support to RCMs: Volunteers of America, the Anti-Recidivism Coalition, and the California STOP program (Specialized Treatment for Optimized Programming)
If you would like to join the next Angel Team Working Group meeting (currently scheduled for Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 6:00 pm Pacific), please email David Fowler (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Gabriel Serafini (email@example.com). Here is our current agenda for the next Team meeting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UK_OJ0GilWCTRDHdx9U59oWo0g3AquA–pLdBxODd0/edit?usp=sharing