Embraced & Empowered
Prison and Reentry Ministries Conference
May 19-20, 2023
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Character Transformation Before Release
If you’re eager to:
- Make your prison ministry more impactful
- Be a visiting or letter-writing chaplain
- Climb down “off the fence”—and find fulfillment serving
- Get our ministry admitted to more prisons
- Re-energize your state’s Institutional Committee
- Start an Institutional Committee in your state
- Help former inmates as an Angel Team member…
…THEN THIS CONFERENCE IS FOR YOU.
– Platinum Sponsors –
– Gold Sponsors –
Share the Practice – Websites for Christian Scientists
– Ticket Scholarship Sponsors –
Cali McClure, CS
This interactive in-person conference features dynamic sessions on how to become a corresponding or visiting chaplain, how to support former inmates as they reenter society, and how to form more effective partnerships with your local community. Zoom participants will be able to follow along on the live stream.
Dates | Who Should Attend? | Location | Sessions | What to Bring | Speakers | About the Area | Airports & Transportation | Accommodations | Registration & Fees | Contact Information | Purchase Tickets & Conference Sponsorships | Make a Donation
Friday, May 19 and Saturday, May 20, 2023
Who Should Attend?
- Aspiring Christian Science corresponding and visiting chaplains
- Those interested in supporting reentry for former inmates
- Church members who are interested in better caring for their local community
- State Institutional Committees looking for growth opportunities
- Experienced Chaplains looking to reignite their prison ministry
First Church of Christ, Scientist, San Juan Capistrano, CA
31897 Del Obispo St #120
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Google Map | Driving Directions
- Friday 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm (dinner included)
- Diving Deeper into Pre-Release
- Effective Chaplaincy & Outreach
- Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (breakfast & lunch included)
- Rebuilding an Effective Corps of Chaplains
- Opening New Prison Doors
- Community Partnerships
- Angel Teams & Effective Post-Release Support
What to Bring
Please bring your laptop or tablet, pen and paper for taking notes, and a reusable water bottle. You will be participating in engaging interactive boot-camp style sessions and will want to take notes and use your own equipment to write practice letters, conduct exploratory research, and connect with the community.
- Sister Mary Sean Hodges, Founder PREP – Partnership for Reentry Program
- Carlos Vasquez, Owner “How To Battle”
- Sharon Sinclair, Christian Science Chaplain, Los Angeles, CA
- Trinka Wasik, C.S., State Institutional Committee Chair, Washington State Institutional Committee
- Troy Spann, Jr., Returning Community Member, Area Lead Supervisor, Urban Alchemy
- Marilyn McDonald, Christian Science Chaplain, Reno, NV
- David Fowler, Co-Founder Embraced:Fully
- Gabriel Serafini, Co-Founder Embraced:Fully
- Anna Lisa Kronman, C.S., Board Chairperson, The Principle Foundation
- Jeff Harbin, Grant Administrator, The Principle Foundation
- Barb Weiser, Secretary, Oregon State Institutional Committee
- Bob Woodard, Christian Science Chaplain & Angel Team Leader, Dallas TX
- Greg Nelson, Returning Community Member, Olympia, WA
- Elizabeth Arnett, Executive Secretary, The Christian Science Committee for Institutional Work in Texas
- Brian Abbott, Institutional Committee Liaison, The Mother Church
About the Area
San Juan Capistrano is unique in Orange County and a rarity in California, a community whose foundation was laid by the earliest people to inhabit the land, and a community still evolving after more than 220 years. It is known for it’s historic downtown, excellent shopping, and closeness to the sea.
Airports & Transportation
The nearest major airport is John Wayne Airport (SNA / KSNA). This airport has international and domestic flights from Santa Ana, California and is 21 miles from the center of San Juan Capistrano, CA.
Another major airport is McClellan-Palomar Airport (CLD / KCRQ), which has domestic flights from Carlsbad, California and is 38 miles from San Juan Capistrano, CA.
Long Beach Airport (LGB / KLGB) has domestic flights from Long Beach, California and is 40 miles from San Juan Capistrano, CA.
There are many local hotels and accommodations in the area. We have secured group discounts at the following:
- The Willows – an independent living community for 55+ forward-thinking Christian Scientists, (limited availability)
- Best Western Capistrano Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites in Mission Viejo
Please contact Marilyn McDonald, Conference Chairperson for discount information and additional accommodation options: email@example.com
Registration & Fees
Conference registration includes dinner on Friday night, breakfast and lunch on Saturday.
In-person conference seating is limited to 110 people total. Please register as soon as possible for the biggest discount and to secure your spot!
- Early Bird Registration – $120 – through March 31, 2023
- Regular Registration – $160 – April 1 – May 19, 2023
A limited number of needs-based scholarships are expected to be available.
- Marilyn McDonald, Conference Chairperson – firstname.lastname@example.org – (775) 741-3655
- Gabriel Serafini, Embraced:Fully Co-Founder – email@example.com – (415) 640-5984
- David Fowler, Embraced:Fully Co-Founder – firstname.lastname@example.org – (760) 822-2133
You must be logged in to post a comment.